Everything Apple, from the II series to the modern day iMac.

Moderators: Flack, Ice Breaker, Phosphor Dot Fossils

Re: I'm going to upgrade an old Mac Mini

Postby SteveW » Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:18 pm

For an example of quirkiness, for some reason the scroll wheel directions occasionally go out of whack. When I first got the Mini I noticed that the mouse scrolling was going the opposite way that I've always done it. There's a check box in the system preferences for "natural scrolling" that had to be unchecked for normal scrolling like all good decent, hard working folk use, unlike that natural scrolling garbage which I would wager is the handiwork of the devil. I say the devil because occasionally after startup or a restart, the scrolling will switch over to natural scrolling even though the preference box is not checked for it, almost like the Mini is demonically possessed. Anybody know a good exorcism program for the Mac? I know there's heaps of them for the PC, but then that's necessary considering Windows is one of the most evil operating systems ever made.
SteveW

Postby Ice Breaker » Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:23 am

Sounds like you have jacked up permissions. Running the disk util on your box should help. Or zapping the PRAM.
http://www.particles.org - http://www.amigacd32.com
Ice Breaker
Site Admin

Postby SteveW » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:37 pm

Ugh. I ran Disk Utility last week and repaired permissions. I hope this won't become a persistent problem or anything. And zapping the PRAM... boy, does that bring back memories. I had to do that on my Classic Mac OS machines, but I haven't had to do anything like that with OS X. I actually don't even remember how. System 7 through OS 9 was pretty problematic for me, I had to learn to get under the hood a lot to fix things. I'm happy that OS X is more robust, but I'm sad that it's not as open to customization as OS 9 was. I used to have stuff running like Kaliedoscope, which changed your windows and user interface elements (which was promised with System 8 "Copeland" but died with that particular OS after NeXT was bought out) and Kineticon (which let you have animated icons). Now there seem to be less and less ways to customize the look of your desktop with every iteration of OS X. It's a shame.
SteveW

Postby SteveW » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:15 am

Okay, quick question - How do I go about backing up my iTunes library? In the past I did it manually, which was a bit slow and painstaking, so I thought I'd use Time Machine, but that backs up every damn thing on my Mini. I don't need all the other junk backed up, just my iTunes stuff. Or should I even bother? Now that Apple is letting you re-download all your past purchases free of charge, should I even concern myself with backups?
SteveW

Postby Ice Breaker » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:32 am

I back up everything just in case.

If you don't, there's other solutions like Carbon Copy Cloner which sadly now costs money (where it has been free for many years). You can back up only the files you want. There's probably other solutions as well.

But with hard drives costing very little, I don't see a reason to *not* back up everything. Time Capsule/Time Machine backups are good because you can restore your full OS and everything from them - it's saved my ass a few times.
Ice Breaker
Site Admin

Postby SteveW » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:30 pm

I've checked and repaired my permissions yesterday and today, and the mouse scrolling direction still gets screwed up after a restart. Weird.

My Samsung external DVD drive is half dead already. I'd be nice if I could own an optical drive that would last as long as the one in my Powerbook.
SteveW

Postby SteveW » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:29 pm

Am I the only one who thinks Apple royally fucked up iTunes 11? I want to watch the last episode of Elementary I purchased, so I finally figure out where to look... and instead of the shows I have on my machine, it shows me every single show I've ever purchased in the past decade. So now I have to hunt through all this bullshit to get to the one thing I want to see. Dammit, they've made iTunes unbelievably clunky and hard to navigate.
SteveW

Postby Ice Breaker » Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:19 pm

Ice Breaker
Site Admin

Postby SteveW » Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:05 pm

Actually, that's something else that's a bit squirrely on this new Mini - Software Update. I check the App Store, it tells me in the icons on the top and the main icon in my dock that I have two updates available, and yet when I check it says there aren't any. It does that for two days, then it tells me there's now three available and it lets me download them. Weird.
SteveW

Postby SteveW » Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:39 pm

I updated to OS X 10.9 just now, and there's a new Displays preference pane at the top of my screen, so I used it, and changed my settings to give me what's best for my monitor. It changed something... when I had my second-hand Mini, the graphics were nicely smooth and the animated dock icons were nicely clear as they bounced. When I bought a new Mini, the dock icons were sort of jagged around the edges when animated, and the display didn't look quite as smooth. The new setting I changed my Mini over to seems to have eliminated that. Nice one. I guess I had my Mini at some oddball screen framerate or something.

I'm currently coming to grips with the OS upgrade. I love that Apple Maps now comes as a standalone app, but puzzled that I had to turn on Wi-Fi for it to figure out my location, even though I'm linked to the router through ethernet. I don't care for the new Labels functionality, instead of coloring in your icon text it now just puts a little color dot in front of the words. It's nice that the OS was made free by Apple, I just hope that it didn't break any of my older software.

On the negative side, it's switched off the ability to open a new folder within a folder. I have to use the Back button to go up a level, which I seriously dislike. The traditional graphical user interface that was started within Xerox PARC that resulted in the Mac OS and Windows amongst others has worked with a simple files and folders concept that has always been very naturalistic in use. Now they want me to navigate folders like webpages, and I don't like it. Yes, it does make a clutter of open windows when I navigate folders within folders for a few levels, but being an intelligent person I can handle it with ease. I guess others can't, so henceforth we get the drilldown folder scheme. Ugh. Hopefully there's a setting that I can change back to the classic GUI.
SteveW

Previous

Return to Apple Computers