Supporting all things Commodore!  PET, KIM, VIC, 264 series, C64/128, Amiga, and maybe the odd calculator or two!

Moderators: Flack, Ice Breaker, Phosphor Dot Fossils

Adding an SD card to an Amiga 2000

Postby le geek » Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:44 am

I've been interested in added SD card capabilities to my 2000 HD without messing up the existing floppy, as I still have some original Disks that run fine.

So this solution did not seem a good idea:

SD C - HXC Floppy Emulator REV C
http://lotharek.pl/product.php?pid=13

But I just saw this unit that uses a Micro SD card as a Hard Drive:

SCSI to Micro SD Card Adapter
http://www.amiga.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69941

Does this look like a good idea for a relative hardware noob?

Ben
le geek: game reviews eBen: homepage & trade list
Image"oh nooo!"
le geek

Re: Adding an SD card to an Amiga 2000

Postby Ze_ro » Tue Apr 26, 2016 8:21 pm

It kind of depends on what you want to do here. The SD-to-SCSI device should work great for using the SD card as a hard drive... of course, that means you'd be relying on WHDLoad to manage most of your games.

Another option are these Gotek floppy emulators. These were originally meant for electronic keyboards I think, but someone hacked together a firmware update that lets them function nicely on Amigas, very similar to the HxC, though cheaper (You can save some money by buying a stock one and flashing the firmware yourself if you're comfortable doing that kind of thing). These would work good for booting floppy-based games... but you might have some issues if you wanted to keep both the Gotek and your stock floppy drive running at the same time (One would have to be swapped to be the 2nd drive).

If you're just looking for a way to transfer files, I'm not sure either of these are great choices... the Gotek drive uses a special format for USB sticks that you would need a program to access on the PC side (and I think you'd still be stuck with the 800kb disk size limit), and with the SD-to-SCSI option, you'd have to use something that can access FFS partitions in order to read/write to it on the PC side (WinUAE can mount it and do everything you need in this respect at least).

--Zero
Ze_ro

Return to Commodore Computers