Information about the European computers.

Moderators: Flack, Ice Breaker, Phosphor Dot Fossils

Did the Amstrad ever come out in the US?

Postby SteveW » Wed May 23, 2007 3:17 pm

I remember reading somewhere, possibly in an old issue of Retro Gamer, that Amstrad computers had a tiny and brief introduction into the US. Does anyone have any corroborating evidence? I've wondered about that for some time. I just don't know if it was one of those oddball machines, like the NEC Trek or the Spectravideo SV-318, that came and went without anyone noticing during the height of the US home computer market. So many machines were trying to compete against the Commodore/Atari/Apple juggernauts and failed miserably. Anybody ever hear of Amstrad machines hitting American shores?
SteveW

Postby Malc74 » Thu May 24, 2007 6:22 pm

I have some reprints of an old Coleco Adam fanzine which, in the general news section, mentions the upcoming release of the CPC in North America. That's all the evidence I've ever seen for the CPC's existence in the USA/Canada.

I'd love to be proved wrong, but I'd say it probably didn't make it over here.
Malc74

Postby SteveW » Sat May 26, 2007 7:20 pm

I know that Amstrad put out a PDA type tablet device years back, because an electronic junk store nearby used to have loads of them. I always thought about picking one up, just for the novelty, but their prices are traditionally too high for impulse purchases. They always have one of those "buy an item and get 50% off the next lesser value item" sales going on at any time, which is justification for overpricing outdated electronics. It's the same store that had an Atari 520ST priced for $29, sitting next to an Amiga 500 for $299. And I've passed over so many bargains at that place over the years because I didn't realise the importance of the machines they had. They used to have an Apple III, they had an Apple Lisa for something like $30 (don't they go for hundreds or thousands of dollars on eBay now?), they had all sorts of overstock from the warehouse of Telegames. I still regret not picking up any of those Atari 7800 Procontrollers they had heaps of for something like two bucks each.

Sorry to go off the subject. I'm the ramblin' type. :)
SteveW

Return to Amstrad Computers