The place to start!  Discussions about all things classic computing with no particular topic needed.  If it falls into any of the other categories below, we ask that you put them in there.

Moderators: Flack, Ice Breaker, Phosphor Dot Fossils

Re: Thrift Finds! Post Yours Here!

Postby SteveW » Tue Jun 02, 2015 8:12 pm

I bought a battered and bruised Nintendo Wii today for $19.99. It'll be a replacement for the one I dismantled a couple years ago and never had the opportunity to put it back together again.
SteveW

Postby Flack » Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:06 pm

Most of the ones I've found in thrift stores have bad optical drives, but with the ability to jailbreak them and play ISOs from a USB hard drive, who cares? Nice find!
Flack
Site Admin

Postby Flack » Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:07 pm

I went to two different neighborhoods having garage sales today, but there weren't a lot of garage sales open. I stopped at seven or eight and I might go back tomorrow.

Today I got a new five pack of ear bud "plugs" (I am always losing them) for a buck, a few DVDs that I didn't really want for 50 cents each, and a sealed copy of Uno for $3.

I saw a stack of PS2 and Gamecube games for a buck each. Every one had either a fish or a monster truck on the cover so I didn't buy anything.
Flack
Site Admin

Postby Flack » Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:02 pm

Today has been the best day I've had hitting garage sales in a long, long time.

We decided to go to breakfast today in Piedmont. When we got there, across the street was a "city wide" garage sale. It was a fundraiser, everything was at one small location, and it was "pay whatever you want." We started at one end and found a box of about 50 Commodore 64 disks. Wahoo! We kept shopping and about 20' down we found a Commodore 1541 disk drive in the original box! I looked another 20 feet ahead and there was a guy standing there, holding a C64 in the box. I thought he was going to set it down, but no, he bought it. I'm pretty sure he was a flipper. :(

Then we decided to go visit a friend in Minco. When we got there, Minco was having their own city-wide garage sale day! We visited, oh, a dozen different garage sales. I found a Mighty Men and Monster Maker toy, still in the box, for $2. I had one as a kid and have been wanting to get one but they are $50+ on eBay. $2 is a score! We got some other things too. I actually passed on a nice looking IBM XT w/monitor.
Flack
Site Admin

Postby SteveW » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:56 pm

Flack wrote:there was a guy standing there, holding a C64 in the box. I thought he was going to set it down, but no, he bought it. I'm pretty sure he was a flipper. :(

Or he was one of those assholes that's heard that there's a small amount of gold on the motherboard so he's going to rip the machine apart to get to it.

I loaned all my Wii games out to my nephews, so I finally went out and bought a Wii game to test my new console, Dead Space: Extraction. And the console can't read it. The drive doesn't grind like my old one did, it won't read at all. Nintendo designed the GameCube to be rugged as hell, it's a shame they couldn't do the same with a console they aimed at children, knowing how rough kids can be. It's not too big of a loss, since looking over the Wii racks at a Movie Trading Company, I'm not missing out on much. Dead Space was one of the half-a-handful of "grown-up" games they had that actually appealed to me. I guess that I'll have to shop online for any Wii games that aren't designed for toddlers. Not that there's a lot of them.
SteveW

Postby Flack » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:11 am

I'd love to find a cheap Wii with a dead optical drive. You can mod it by using an SD card and play games on it using an attached hard drive. I already have one set up that way but it's in the living room and it's a pain to move it from TV to TV due to all the attached cables.

At Saturday's garage sales we ran across a lady who was selling a Wii. She wanted $100 for the Wii with the remotes and $150 if I wanted the six games she had too. I'm wondering if she has ever set foot inside a GameStop or Vintage Stock?
Flack
Site Admin

Postby SteveW » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:57 am

How difficult is it to mod a Wii console? I could always do that to this machine. Like I said, there's only a small amount of titles I'd actually want to play on it. I'm not sure it would be worth it if I have to do some major soldering work.
SteveW

Postby Flack » Thu Jun 11, 2015 7:37 pm

You don't even have to open it. Basically all you have to do is copy some files to an SD card, boot it up, and you can mod it. This allows you to add "channels". It's been a long time but I think you have to have the internet-capable Wii to do this. Anyway once you do that you can load and play games in ISO format from an attached USB hard drive.

http://lifehacker.com/5830367/how-to-ha ... ve-minutes
Flack
Site Admin

Postby SteveW » Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:36 pm

Thanks! I guess I need to see which version my Wii is at, to see if it'll work. I'll be out of town next week, so I'll give it a shot after that.
SteveW

Postby SteveW » Mon Jun 29, 2015 4:49 pm

Hit a couple thrifts while I was out and about today. The only one I ever bother going to regularly anymore had a shoebox filled with Atari 2600 games, nearly all of them without labels. Didn't buy any, although now I'm regretting it. Who knows what those Parker Bros. and Games By Apollo blank carts could be. Maybe I'll go tomorrow and pick some up. Anyway, behind the counter was this little gem, fairly filthy but no battery corrosion which is a rarity. A lot of the grime won't come off with Clorox Wipes, it looks to be either paint or maybe melted vinyl or something.

SteveW

Postby SteveW » Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:06 pm

I came across a thrift that I'd never been to, and picked up a Unisonic Tournament 2000 Pong unit (with light gun, stock and rifle barrel included, but turns out there's no paddles) and a Japanese import of Shenmue for the Dreamcast, thankfully with all four discs inside the heavily Scotch-taped jewel case.

SteveW

Postby SteveW » Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:51 pm

Thanks to a noisy neighbor doing a DIY project this morning, I managed to get up early and with only two hours of sleep go on a flea market trip. I stopped at the new GameXchange in McKinney, TX and picked up the Jumpman Junior for the Commodore 64 for $2.95. At the flea market I picked up the two Atari 2600 games and the old computer software manuals for $13 total. The manuals are all for Apple II games, unfortunately no software or boxes. I bought the manuals for the artwork, really. They're so ambitious, depicting things the Apple II could never actually live up to. The Alkemstone cover has a Centaur with a human torso, dragon neck, cyclops face, and scorpion tail. It's like they wanted to cram a bunch of D&D creatures into one body. Fantastic.

I stopped at a Console Game Exchange location I've never been to in Denton and picked up the boxed Champ Adaptor for $20 and the unlabeled Atari Jaguar game for $5. The store is next to a shop that sells nothing but Minifigs. Just Lego compatible figures. What a weird notion for a mall store.

SteveW

Postby SteveW » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:59 pm

I didn't buy this one since I've already got my original and one or two that I've bought in thrifts over the years, and yet I haven't actually plugged one in and used it since 1983. Besides, $60 is a bit steep considering you used to be able to get them for $49 back in the day. I'm just blown away that they occasionally still show up boxed.

SteveW

Postby SteveW » Fri Aug 19, 2016 8:55 pm

I went to a game store (Game Over in Arlington, TX) and bought a baggie with Tunnels of Doom for the TI-99/4A in it. It had the cartridge and instruction manual, but not the original cassette. The tape that was in it was Doom Games 1 by Asgard Software, a company that really picked up the ball and ran with it after TI pulled out of the computer market. Doom Games 1 was a user-created set of four new game scenarios released in 1987. I remember reading the description of it in the Triton catalog way back when, and wanting it but never having enough money to really splurge on everything I wanted (I only made minimum wage back then, $3.35 an hour part-time). The one scenario I remember the name of from the Triton catalog was Wild Adventures In K-Mart. And now I finally have my own copy, with the manual and a paper insert.

One of the scenarios is called Doctor Who, where you must locate the Keys of Time while fighting off a classic assortment of enemies. Earl should like that one.
SteveW

Previous

Return to Public Chat